Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Farrar Brothers: Three Confederates, One Yankee and One Gurerilla

"Brother vs Brother"

The Farrar brothers are all my 1st cousins 5x removed.  Their mother, Elizabeth Roland Harris Farrar was the sister of my 4th Great Grandmother, Ann Washington Harris.  Elizabeth married John Howard "Jack" Farrar in Warren County, North Carolina on November 20, 1817.  Jack was a War of 1812 Veteran, having served as a Sergeant in Captain Strother's Company, 10th United States Infantry.   Jack's father, Abel Farrar served in the American Revolution.  He is reported to have lost a leg in the Battle of Guilford County Court House.   Jack and his family moved to the Benton County, Tennessee area sometime around 1834.  Jack and Elizabeth would have 10 children who lived into adulthood, 7 boys and 3 girls.  Two sons, Samuel Terry Farrar and John Ingle Farrar are not believed to have served in any capacity with either the Union or the Confederacy during the Civil War. 

Albert Gallatin Farrar was born in Granville County, North Carolina in January of 1817.  He was the eldest Farrar brother.  In 1834, Albert followed his father and family to Benton County, Tennessee.  By 1854, Albert and his brother Junius, had settled near Cave Springs, Arkansas where they homesteaded around 200 acres.  By March of 1862, the Western Theater of the Civil War had expanded to Cave Springs, Arkansas.  Although there are no official records of Albert serving the Confederacy in any official capacity, family lore states he was killed during the Battle of Pea Ridge, Arkansas between March 6 - 8, 1862.  His body was found on the battlefield and was buried in a private cemetery on the outskirts of Cave Springs.  An unconfirmed family legend states that Albert was quite possibly killed by his own brother Junius Henry Farrar.

Junius and Albert reportedly did not see eye to eye on secession.  This could have come in to play as the Battle of Pea Ridge raged near their homestead.  Either way, Albert's life was indeed ended at the battle.   He is buried in a small private cemetery on the outskirts of Cave Springs, Arkansas.

Grave of Albert Gallatin Farrar

James Franklin Farrar was born in Granville County, North Carolina on October 4, 1819.  He was the second son born to Jack and Elizabeth.  James also relocated to the Bedford County, Tennessee area with his family sometime around 1834.  James enlisted as a Private in Company K, Tennessee 41st Infantry Regiment at Camp Trousdale, Tennessee on November 2, 1861 at the age of 42. 

1st Muster for James

The Tennessee 41st Infantry Regiment completed it's organization at Camp Trousdale, Sumner County, Tennessee on November 28, 1861.  After its organization, the Regiment proceeded to Bowling Green, Kentucky where it was placed in Colonel W. E. Baldwin's Brigade, Brigadier General Simon Bolivar Buckner's Division of the Central Army of Kentucky.  Other Regiments in the Brigade included the 14th, 26th Mississippi Infantry Regiments, 26th and 41st Tennessee Infantry Regiments. 

Battle Flag of the Tennessee 41st Infantry Regiment

The Brigade was ordered to Fort Donelson, Tennessee on February 12, 1862 where the Brigade was temporarily divided.  The 14th Mississippi and 41st Tennessee Regiments, along with Porter's and Graves' Batteries, were attached to Colonel John C. Brown's Brigade also in General Buckner's Division.  The 26th Mississippi and 26th Tennessee were detached to Brigadier General Gideon J. Pillow's Division. 

Battle of Fort Donelson, by Kurz and Allison (1887)

The Battle of Fort Donelson took place between February 11 - 16 of 1862.  The Tennessee 41st was held in reserve for the early stages of the battle.  The Regiment was not heavily engaged until the Federal assault on Buckner's position late in the afternoon of February 15th.  Out of the 575 men reportedly engaged, 2 were killed, 6 were wounded and 26 were reported as missing.  The remainder of the Regiment was surrendered with the rest of Buckner's force following the Union victory on February 16th. 

There is no report that James was captured at Fort Donelson.  Many men who were not captured at Fort Donelson served in other Regiments. Many of those men returned to the Regiment when it was reorganized on September 29, 1862.  

James reportedly had medical issues that caused him to apply for a disability discharge on December 1, 1862.  He was discharged on March 18, 1863 at Port Hudson, Louisiana. 

Muster Roll showing James' Discharge

James returned home to Bedford County, Tennessee after the war.  He lived an additional 39 years following the end of the Civil War.  James died in Flat Creek, Bedford County, Tennessee on March 16, 1904 at the age of 84.  His burial location is not known at this time.

James Franklin Farrar

Junius Henry Farrar was born in Granville County, North Carolina on February 12, 1823.  He was the third son and fourth child born to Jack and Elizabeth.  A daughter, Martha Holmes Farrar, was born in 1821.  An interesting side note:  Two of Martha Farrar Covey's son's, James Rager Covey and Welcome "Welk" Junius Covey served in Company F, Arkansas 15th Northwest Infantry, Confederate States of America during the Civil War.  They are both my 2nd cousins 4x removed.  Welcome Junius Covey was undoubtedly named after Junius Henry Farrar, yet the two served on opposite sides of the Nation's greatest conflict. 

Marriage Records indicate Junius Farrar was living in Benton County, Arkansas by July 7, 1843, when he married Cassandra Nail.  Junius was apparently a Union sympathizer.  He didn't join the Union Army at the outbreak of the Civil War, but rather after his farm was burned down for the second time by bushwhackers. 

On July 12, 1863, Junius along with his sons John Harrison and Nicholas, enlisted as a Privates in Company F, Arkansas 2nd Volunteer Cavalry (United States).  John Harrison Farrar and Nicholas Farrar are also my 2nd cousin 4x removed.  They would have been 1st cousins with James Rager and Welcome Junius Covey.   Junius Farrar was 40 years old at the time of his enlistment.  John Harrison and Nicholas were 18 and 17 respectively. 

1st Muster for Junius

The Arkansas 2nd Volunteer Cavalry (United States) was organized in Helena, Arkansas and Pine Knob, Missouri in July of 1862.  Although Arkansas had seceded from the Union in 1861,  she provided 11 Federal Regiments to the Union Army during the Civil War.  Many families in the mountains of North-Central Arkansas held sympathy with the Union.  Groups of men formed secret societies, known collectively as the Arkansas Peace Society, that were set up to resist Confederate authority. 

In the Summer of 1862, the Union Army had made its way to Helena, Phillips County, Arkansas where they made an abortive attempt to capture Little Rock in Pulaski County.  Although the attempt on Little Rock had failed, a Union presence remained in Helena.  Helena would become a rendezvous point for loyal Arkansans seeking protection and vengeance from local bushwhackers. 

By July of 1862, a recruiting office had been set up on Main Street in Helena.  Colonel W. James Morgan of Missouri had been given permission to establish a Regiment known as the First Arkansas Mounted Rangers.  New recruits came in on a daily basis and it wasn't long before there were 3 Companies comprised of nearly 400 men.  Mismanagement on the part of local authorities and the dismissal of Colonel Morgan compelled Federal officials to send the recruits to St. Louis, Missouri in May of 1863 where they were consolidated with another Arkansas Regiment.  Following the consolidation, the unit's designation was changed to the Second Arkansas Volunteer Cavalry (United States).

The 2nd Arkansas spent much of its time patrolling Northern Arkansas in search of Confederate Guerrillas and Bandits who preyed on the local population.  Their specific knowledge of the terrain made them a valuable instrument in the Federal Army.  The Regiment very seldom acted as a unified command, but rather as small detachments that were scattered around the countryside to deal with the Confederate forces in the area.   On May 3, 1864, a foraging party from the 2nd Arkansas was ambushed by Guerrillas at Richland Creek.   The Confederates refused to take any prisoners, and by the time the fighting was over, nearly 40 men from the 2nd Arkansas were dead.  The Regiment gained success in its ability to conduct counter-guerrilla operations.  In January of 1865, the unit was transferred east of the Mississippi River and served in Tennessee and Mississippi until the end of the war. The Second Arkansas was the only Arkansas Union regiment to serve extensively outside the state during the war.

Junius Henry Farrar was elected Sergeant on November 18, 1863.

Muster Roll showing Junius was elected Sergeant

He was listed as being present and accounted for through August of 1865.  Junius Henry Farrar and his sons were mustered out of the United States Army on August 20, 1865 at Memphis, Tennessee.   They returned home to Benton County, Arkansas.  Junius reportedly lost an eye sometime after the Civil War due to an infection.  Junius and both of his sons received a Pension for their service to the United States.

Junius Henry Farrar

Junius lived an additional 34 years following the end of the Civil War.  He died in Benton County, Arkansas on June 24, 1899 at the age of 76.  He is buried in Elm Springs Cemetery in Washington County, Arkansas.

Grave of Sergeant Junius Henry Farrar

Rufus Harrison Farrar was born in Granville County, North Carolina in 1826.  Rufus was the fourth son and fifth child born to Jack and Elizabeth.   By the mid 1830's Rufus was also living in Bedford County, Tennessee.  Rufus enlisted as a Private in Company F, Tennessee 2nd Infantry Regiment on May 1, 1861 at the age of 35.

1st Muster Roll for Rufus

The Tennessee 2nd Infantry Regiment completed its organization in Nashville, Tennessee on May 6, 1861.  Following its organization, the unit moved to Lynchburg, Virginia where it was mustered into Confederate service by Colonel Edmund Kirby Smith on May 12th.  Due to the fact that it was the second Regiment from Tennessee to be mustered into Confederate service, it was given the designation  Tennessee 2nd Infantry Regiment.  William Brimage Bate was elected as Colonel of the Regiment. 

William Brimage Bate

The Regiment first came under fire at Aquia Creek, Virginia on June 1, 1861, when it was tasked with supporting Confederate Artillery Batteries in an engagement with Federal warships.  Following the engagement, the Regiment was assigned to Brigadier General Theophilus H. Holmes' Brigade along with the 1st Arkansas Infantry Regiment.  Holmes' Brigade constituted the extreme right wing of General Pierre G. T. Beauregard's Army.  At the end of June 1981, the Brigade was ordered to Fredericksburg, Virginia, where they were given orders to proceed down the Rappahanock River and capture Federal supply ships.  They succeeded in capturing the Saint Nicholas, the Halifax, and the Mary of Virginia. 

On July 19, 1861, the Brigade joined the remainder of Beauregard's forces at Manassas, Virginia where they prepared for an engagement with the Federal army.  On July 21st, Holmes' Brigade was placed in support of Brigadier General Richard S. Ewell's Brigade, and was not actively engaged in the fighting.  The Brigade did come under heavy fire while shifting position in the afternoon of the battle.  Following the Confederate victory at Manassas, the Regiment was ordered to Evansport, now Quantico, Virginia by way of Fredericksburg.  In Evansport, the Regiment was placed in Brigadier General Samuel G. French's Brigade.  Other units in French's Brigade were the 2nd Arkansas Infantry Battalion, the 35th Georgia, 22nd North Carolina, and 47th Virginia Infantry Regiments.  There the Brigade assisted in the erection of Batteries and other defenses.  In February of 1862, the Regiment re-enlisted for 3 years or the duration of the war. 

The Tennessee 2nd Infantry Regiment ended its service in the Eastern Theater on February 9, 1862, when along with the Tennessee 1st and 3rd Infantry Regiments, it was ordered to Knoxville, Tennessee to aid in the defense of Eastern Tennessee.  Actions in the Western Theater dictated a change in action after the fall of Fort Donelson and Fort Henry.  After a brief furlough, the Regiment rendezvoused at Huntsville, Alabama at the end of March.  The unit was reorganized on April 2, 1862 and proceeded to Corinth, Mississippi where they began preparations for the Battle of Shiloh.

The Battle of Shiloh by T. C. Lindsay

At the Battle of Shiloh, Tennessee, the Regiment was placed in Brigadier General Patrick R. Cleburne's Brigade, together with the 15th Arkansas, the 6th Mississippi, the 5th, 23rd, and 24th Tennessee Infantry Regiments.  Cleburne's Brigade was attached to Major General William J. Hardee's Corps in General Albert Sidney Johnston's Army of Mississippi.  Colonel Bate reported that the Regiment entered the Battle of Shiloh with only 365 effectives.  Colonel Bate was severely wounded and several of his men were killed or wounded in a charge on the first day of fighting.  Bate recovered from his wounds and was promoted to Brigadier General on October 2, 1862.

Muster Roll showing Rufus was killed during the Battle of Shiloh

Rufus Harrison Farrar was killed in action on April 6, 1862 during the Tennessee 2nd Infantry Regiment's charge on the Union line at the Battle of Shiloh, Tennessee.  He was 36 years old at the time of his death.  His burial location is not known at this time.

Lucius Augustus "Gus" Farrar was born on May 9, 1838 in Bedford County, Tennessee.  He was the seventh son and tenth child born to Jack and Elizabeth.  Lucius enlisted in Company K, Tennessee 8th Infantry Regiment at Camp Harris, Tennessee on May 18, 1861 at the age of  23.  He was transferred to Company H sometime before the March - April of 1862 Muster Roll.

1st Muster Roll for Lucius showing transfer to Company H

Recreation of the Tennessee 8th Regimental Flag

The Tennessee 8th Infantry Regiment began its organization in May of 1861.  Some elements of the Regiment had been assembled at Camp Harris in Franklin County, Tennessee on May 18, 1861.  The Regiment completed its organization on May 29, 1861 at Camp Trousdale.  By July of 1861, the unit totaled 887 effectives armed with percussion muskets.  The Regiment arrived in Huntersville, Virginia on July 21st and was assigned to Brigadier General Daniel Smith Donelson's Brigade along with the Tennessee 16th, and the Georgia 1st and 14th Infantry Regiments.  Donelson had selected the location for the Fort that bared his name in Tennessee earlier in the year.

General Daniel Smith Donelson

Donelson's Brigade participated in the Battle of Cheat Mountain on September 12 - 15, 1861.  Following the Union victory, the Brigade was sent to Port Royal, South Carolina on December 16, 1861.  There they skirmished with Federals at the Port Royal Ferry on January 1, 1862. 

On April 10, 1862, Donelson's Brigade totalling 1572 men, was ordered to report to the Western Theater in Corinth, Mississippi.  In October of 1862, the unit participated in the Battle of Perryville, Kentucky.  The battle resulted in a tactical victory for the Confederates due to the number of casualties inflicted on the enemy.   The Federals claimed a strategic victory due to the Confederate withdrawal. 

The Brigade participated in the Battle of Murfreesboro/Stones River from December 31, 1862 - January 2, 1863.  The Tennessee 8th Infantry Regiment was reported as doing "valiant service" during the battle, but was inflicted with heavy casualties, losing 306 men killed or wounded out of the 474 engaged.  During the Battle, Donelson's Brigade captured 11 pieces of Artillery and over 1,000 prisoners of war. 

The Tennessee 8th Infantry Regiment also participated in the Battles of Franklin, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, and Nashville before joining General Joseph E. Johnston's command in North Carolina.   It was surrendered and paroled at Greensboro, North Carolina.
Lucius was elected First Sergeant on May 8, 1862 during the reorganization of the Company. 

Muster Roll showing Lucius' promotion to Sergeant

He was wounded and "left in the hands of the enemy" following the Battle of Murfreesboro/Stone's River on December 31, 1862. 

Muster Roll showing Lucius was wounded at the Battle of Murfreesboro

Initially, Lucius was sent to a Federal Military Prison in Louisville, Kentucky on January 5, 1863.   From there he was confined to Camp Butler, Illinois on March 11th.

POW Roll showing Lucius was transferred to Camp Butler

Lucius was issued Parole sometime after March of 1863, vowing not to take up arms or do any hostile acts against the United States until regularly exchanged. 

Parole for Lucius

He appears on a Muster Roll for his unit in Dalton, Georgia on January 9, 1864.  On May 31, 1864, he is shown on a Muster Report as being present and accounted for, however he is listed as "pronounced unfit for field service by Medical Board and Certificate forwarded to headquarters."  

During the Battle of Atlanta on July 22, 1864, Lucius was again captured, this time by elements of General William Tecumseh Sherman's command. 

POW Roll showing Lucius was captured on July 22, 1864

He was again sent to a Federal Military Prison in Louisville, Kentucky before being sent to Camp Chase, Ohio on July 30, 1864.

POW Roll showing Lucius was transferred to Camp Chase

Lucius signed the Oath of Allegiance on March 22, 1865 and was released from Camp Chase, Ohio on March 28, 1865. 

Oath of Allegiance for Lucius

Lucius Augustus "Gus" Farrar lived an additional 47 years following the end of the Civil War.  He returned home to Bedford, Tennessee where he died on January 12, 1912 at the age of 73.  He is buried in the Moore Chapel Cemetery in Bedford County, Tennessee.

Grave of Lucius Augustus Farrar

Due to the fact that I share the same relationship with each of the Farrar brothers, I'm only listing one relation chart.

Here's my relation to Lucius Augustus Farrar:

Lucius Augustus Farrar (1838 - 1912)
is your 1st cousin 5x removed
Elizabeth Roland Harris (1800 - 1886)
mother of Lucius Augustus Farrar
Ransom Harris Sr. (1764 - 1832)
father of Elizabeth Roland Harris
Ann Washington Harris (1795 - 1870)
daughter of Ransom Harris Sr.
James C. Moss (1824 - 1891)
son of Ann Washington Harris
William Allen Moss (1859 - 1931)
son of James C. Moss
Valeria Lee Moss (1890 - 1968)
daughter of William Allen Moss
Phebe Teresa Wheeler Lewis (1918 - 1977)
daughter of Valeria Lee Moss
Joyce Elaine Lewis (1948 - )
daughter of Phebe Teresa Wheeler Lewis
Chip Stokes
You are the son of Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment